Monday, October 8, 2012

Moving Things

Anyone who knows me knows i love to lift weights... that i'm very passionate about lifting weights. there is something very "pure" about lifting weights... Henry Rollins said it best in this message a while ago...

For me... lifting weights is the lens through which i see life... it's one of those things that helps me create metaphors for my life... my coaching... my consulting... how i approach a business or a person... etc. etc.

And i really do believe that everyone can benefit by some sort of weight lifting / resistance movement.

It will change who you are...

Honestly, i think that anything that one is passionate about can be used as a metaphor for life... it is kinda why we become passionate about something. Anthropologists talk about myths as stories we to create to help us explain why things happen ("reality") and to help us deal with how things work in "reality". For me, weight lifting is a lens that distorts to a certain extent but helps me clarify as well...

The greatest relationship i see connecting weights to life is that moving / lifting weights is all about change: change in the micro by moving X pounds Y distance over Z time... change in the macro as i get stronger or get injured or realize i can... or cant move something.

Change... the underlying principle of life... it is growth... it may be progression... but change always happens and learning to understand HOW i can impact or direct that change but KNOWING that change is going to happen and through lifting weights i learn how to deal with it.

No comments: